- I can audit the project’s planning before development begins, which is where it would be most beneficial, or audit the project’s progress at any other stage. Both are one-time services that require little engagement and yield dramatic results.
- Project guidance or rescue are meant to maximize your team’s efficiency and ROI, and reducing the overall project cost. I will guide you and your team in order to achieve the project’s business goals, within the allowed time and budget.
- Mentoring is a mid to long-term program to improve a developer’s skills and confidence.
- If you need help immediately, you can schedule a 1-hour “pick my brain” session.
- I am also a highly skilled and effective developer, able to achieve great results faster than entire teams. My work comes highly recommended: http://foolab.ca/testimonials
- I am an internationally-recognized speaker on development and management topics: http://afilina.com/speaker/slides/
- 1 PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- 1.1 Project rescue expert & developer, FooLab Inc. – June 2011 to this day
- 1.2 Testimonials and Success Stories on the corporate website: http://foolab.ca
- 1.3 Organizer and developer, ConFoo – June 2006 to this day
- 1.4 Independent consultant and developer – May 2009 to June 2011
- 1.5 Developer, Automotive Computer Services – October 2008 to April 2009
- 1.6 Developer, Tribal Nova – January 2008 to October 2008
- 1.7 Developer, uMaestro — September 2006 to September 2008
- 1.8 Developer, Sygenics Interactive — February 2006 to May 2006
- 1.9 Part-time independent developer — August 1997 to July 2005
- 2 SPECIALIZATION
- 3 EDUCATION
- 4 SKILLS
- 5 VALUES
Note: HTML, CSS, XML and experience in other basic Web technologies is implicit.
Project rescue expert & developer, FooLab Inc. – June 2011 to this day
Testimonials and Success Stories on the corporate website: http://foolab.ca
- Fidelity platform for Essilor, manufacturer of ophthalmic lenses & ophthalmic optical equipment.
- Currently under construction.
- Forum on biodiversity for United Nations Development Programme.
- Discussion board around various themes and regions.
- Search for resources, best practices and e-learning.
- Search for and contact biodiversity experts and consultants.
- Review peers.
- Website currently supports 3 languages, projected to support 6 or more.
- Work instructions management system for Châteauguay Machine Parts.
- Categorization and advanced search tools for instruction projects.
- Version control for instruction projects, complete with review process and tracking of each individual change.
- Users are alerted when a new version for their instructions comes out.
- Visuals are created with easy to use annotations for each step.
- Annotations can be created in a multitude of languages, with translation tools to aid the authors. Language switching is seamless to the machine operators.
- Auto-advancement can be selected based on a timer or based on data from factory tools, acquired via proprietary connectors that were developed specifically for this project.
- Quality control data is gathered from the operators as they complete steps. This data is then used for tracking defects and generating performance/takt reports.
Organizer and developer, ConFoo – June 2006 to this day
ConFoo.ca, previously known as PHP Quebec Conference, is a conference on Web technologies in Montreal.
- 3-day conference, training and job fair: organization (planning, finances, logistics, etc.)
- Planning and enforcing the annual budget.
- Managing service providers, such as design, print, audio-visual, Internet, venue, catering, booth shipping, communications, advertisers, etc.
- Managing sponsor relationship, contracts and payment.
- Speaker research, selection and relationship.
- Attendee relationship.
- Coordinating setup of venue and expo hall.
- Website and internal tools.
- Call for papers and public voting system.
- Tools that facilitate the selection of proposals for organizers and advisors, including flight and hotel estimation tools.
- Robust timetable creation tool with management of various constraints, such as speaker origin timezone (for jetlag), theme overlap, speaker conflicts and estimated room size based on personalized schedules.
- List of selected speakers with individual pages.
- List of selected presentations with individual pages and filtering by theme.
- Timetable with filtering by theme and personalized user schedules.
- Archive of this content by year (speakers, sessions, schedule).
- News and pages management.
- Created a mobile version of the site with a dynamic schedule that helps attendees find out what’s coming up next.
- Reporting tools for talk popularity, speaker cost break-down, session statistics and sales reports.
- Full payment and order management system.
- Distributed attendee registration system with barcodes.
- Tools for generating printable timetable, attendee and speaker badges, etc.
Independent consultant and developer – May 2009 to June 2011
- Client and sales management intranet for Spa Oasis.
- Product management and invoice system.
- Attribute fidelity points based on the amount of transactions. Clients can view their balance online.
- Use fidelity points for products and discounts.
- Online catalog for Yellow Shoes.
- Convert static catalog images into an interactive online catalog.
- Flash game for Têtes à claques, a tabletop game similar to carrom.
- Physics engine for particle acceleration and collision.
- Animated responses from opponent character.
- Apply game rules.
- WordPress plugin and PHP library for Praized Media.
- Create a connector between a PHP frontend and an API.
- Integrate into WordPress as an installable plugin.
- E-commerce application for Phonetastic, a service that allows to convert any existing phone plan into an unlimited plan.
- Catalog of phone service packages.
- Payment process including phone number selection based on regional code.
- Integration with telephone system for number activation and management of quick-dial numbers.
Developer, Automotive Computer Services – October 2008 to April 2009
ACS offers application support for car dealerships across the United States. The company is located in Mobile, Alabama.
- Car dealership management software.
Technologies used: PHP, Zend Framework, MySQL, ActionScript 3, Flex, AIR
Developer, Tribal Nova – January 2008 to October 2008
Tribal Nova is located in Montreal and creates Web game platforms for children.
- Game engine and scenario management tool for My Friend Rabbit by Treehouse.
- Web game platform for BayardKids.
- Games for PBS Kids Play.
- Framework and scenario management tool for CBC Wonderworld.
Developer, uMaestro — September 2006 to September 2008
uMaestro is located in Montreal and specializes in Web software development with open source technologies.
- CRM for Global Nomad Group.
- Corporate housing search tool for Global Nomad Group.
- Invoice system for a network of health clinics
- Boosted performance 100x
Developer, Sygenics Interactive — February 2006 to May 2006
Sygenics is located in Montreal and develops various multimedia applications.
- EXVR video on demand system’s User Interface.
- Online MangaPets game.
Technologies used: ActionScript 2, Flash
Part-time independent developer — August 1997 to July 2005
Customers were located mostly in Montreal. Among projects of consequence:
- E-commerce and order management application for a flower store.
- Online community for manufacturers and users of medical equipment.
- Search engine for apartment rental.
- Online matchmaking service.
- CMS and business directory for a community magazine.
I am highly experienced in increasing performance, building working software and eliminating the most elusive bugs.
- PHP 4 and 5 (11 years)
- AJAX (7 years)
- HTML, CSS (16 years)
- XML (8 years)
- ActionScript 2 and 3 (12 years)
- Symfony (5 years)
- Zend Framework (2 years)
- CakePHP (1 year)
- CodeIgniter (2 years)
- MySQL (11 years)
- Oracle (2 years)
- MSSQL (1 year)
Applications and tools
- IDE: Eclipse, TextMate
- Source control: CVS, SVN, GIT
- eCommerce and electronic marketing, HEC Montreal
- Computer Science Technology, Vanier College
- Get along easily with other people
- Communicate well with non-technical people
- Can manage a team of developers
- Highly efficient and effective
- Deliver projects on time, always
- Direct and honest
- Professional in all interactions
- Working software is better for my clients than clever architectures
- Client satisfaction leads to good referrals
- To learn more about my values, follow me on Twitter for daily power-tweets: https://twitter.com/afilina